Friday 8 March 2013

Yet More Paper Art

Su Blackwell- Artist


Su Blackwell’s background is in textiles and embroidery.  However she is a best known as a British artist who creates delicate, tranquil 3D sculptures from cutting up the pages of second-hand books. Su was initially inspired by a Chinese paper cutting book she received as a gift. Her creations have appeared in high-fashion window displays and exhibitions around the UK. Su makes artwork from everyday materials, experimenting with lots of different materials in sculpture and transforming non-art everyday objects into works of art.
My work crosses the boundaries of textiles, sculpture and jewelry and I use materials as diverse as paper, metal and fabric in order to convey my message. Whether I’m tying
together strands of cotton to produce a giant cobweb or folding pieces of paper to create a flock of a thousand birds, I often use repetitive labour intensive processes that reveal the hand at work.

I create one-off sculptural art pieces that appear to be intricate and delicate. Recently I have incorporated second-hand books, dresses, safety pins and mundane everyday objects in my work, deconstructing and then
reconstructing them to create beautiful art forms. I often work with the imagery of birds and butterflies and am inspired by nature and legends.
My safety pin sculptures are rehearsed through careful drawings. The safety pins are welded together to form the shape of birds, fish or insects.
I make robins, wrens, owls and penguins.
I am open to new commissions
.



Su Blackwell


Taken from the artists own words. www.sublackwell.co.uk
Her work is always inspired by fairy tales and folklore books with titles like “The Last Unicorn,” “the Woodcutters Hut” and “The Girl in the Wood. Su has also worked with author Wendy Jones to produce a book, The Fairytale Princess. Su is represented in London by the Long and Ryle Gallery and further information is available on her website.
Till next time
Sara x

No comments:

Post a Comment