Thursday 14 March 2013

Style

Style- Is this a matter of taste?
I would imagine that most people would prefer to be regarded as stylish. To be thought of as having no style is generally thought of as a bit of an insult. But what actually is having ‘Great Style’? What would be considered as stylish to one person might be totally tasteless to someone else. Certain fashion and interior designers are acknowledged as being stylish and setting the bar for Good Taste. In my view, I would think of Kelly Hoppen or Ralph Lauren as been very stylish, (at a cost), but at the same time there is a style in aged and very simple items, one-off crafted items, found items, you get my drift…. Also I wonder whether it is more stylish to be different? Do you want your home and life to be exactly the same to everyone else’s?

Pantini- I love aged items is this stylish ?

Oddly enough, I don’t think that actually spending large amounts of money makes for a higher level of taste, just thinking about the excesses of Footballers wife’s, (with the exception of the very elegant Victoria Beckham) which is almost seen as a bit of a joke or at the very least a parody. Too much money and no taste, is a common saying. Certainly large amounts of money are spent in the pursuit of style.
The Devil wears Prada is one of my favourite films for all the right or wrong reasons, really shows the overspending/ over styling culture.
I have just been reading an article by India Knight called -Have Faith in Your Style
We fret too much over the question of whether we have it or not, and if we do, whether ours is good or bad. There is no such thing in my view- there’s only your taste which comprises of stuff you like- and if other people like or don’t like, well whatever,
So that’s India’s viewpoint on this question, I would agree with the sentiment of believing in your taste.
However the designer in me does tend to strive towards my stuff looking good together. My own taste is diverse but I do favour certain genres, and I don’t ever thing I will be a chrome or/ and minimal kind of girl.  I prefer the idea of a home and lifestyle involving organically. I never understand how people can have a complete home or wardrobe makeover and throw everything away.
I have posted below some of my own favourite stylish images; I do hope you like them, do let me know if you agree or disagree for that matter!
Take care
Sara x 




No comments:

Post a Comment