Thursday 4 April 2013

Flowers

My Favourite Florist

I love flowers, if I was able to function before 9am I would be a florist, but alas I know my limitations and I will never be a morning person. I think floristry is so under-rated for both the skill and commitment required. Flowers can cheer up or even make a room, and there can be no greater gift than receiving beautiful flowers. Its great fun to buy flowers too.

Scarlet and Violet

In 2006 after working with flowers for 14 years Vic Brotherson opened her wonderful florists shop in 76 Chamberlayne Rd London NW10 3JJ. This has to be one of the most stunning and individual florists, I have ever seen.
Vic, who studied fine art, runs her business with her sister who is a textile designer, and you can definitely see the artistry in the colours and vibrancy of their work. What I love is the randomness and freedom. Unlike more traditional florists who follow a structured style which is fairly generic to florists in general. This is really unique, and Vic provides flowers for many celebrity clients, for their homes and weddings.  The style is textural, unstructured and painterly. Like a country garden. Seasonal flowers are used and English country flowers like; English dahlia, lily of the valley, gorgeous foliage and blossom. Unusual vases (often vintage) and jars are used which is much preferable to crystal vases.
I have included this in my book choice of the week but to tell you a bit more about her book, Vintage Flowers, I have also included some pages for you. I loved this beautiful book; it is full of eclectic ideas and stunning arrangements. Vic really is an artist using flowers rather than paint. This book is so hard to put down and is just full of inspiration for any aspiring florists or flower lovers. It is well worth reading. 

 http://scarletandviolet.com

Time Out says
This exquisite flower shop takes your breath away the moment you walk in the door. An abundance of flowers are displayed casually in old jugs, buckets, glass jars and even milk bottles. The artless containers serve in fact to draw the eye to the extraordinary artistry displayed in the bunches made up in the very personal style of the owner, Victoria Brotherson (at her happiest when arranging flowers for parties in people’s houses). Old-fashioned and traditional country garden flowers are plentiful, including nodding peonies, and tall sticks of hollyhocks and delphiniums. Highly recommended.
I have attached some lovely images of floral displays and as always I have a board in pinterest on flowers and gardens which also has some unusual flower arrangements.
Sara x

No comments:

Post a Comment